southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

Speed Awareness Courses

Ten years ago, the number of drivers in the UK who opted to attend a speed awareness course instead of accepting fines/points on their licence, numbered 280,000. Last year, the numbers had increased to 1.2 million drivers. This brought in £54 million by the Police Authorities.

The Police deny that they are profiteering from the system, claiming that they are paid operating costs only - but Hugh Bladon of the Alliance of British Drivers disagrees, saying that "Police Forces are clearly making money from these courses, and that there is an incentive for the driver who does not want to lose points and an incentive for the Police Authority to make money"

Claire Armstrong of the Safe Speed Campaign also questions the necessity of using the Speed Awareness System - "Drivers will be spending more time looking at their speedometers rather than concentrating on road situations"

Have you had to attend one (or more) of these courses - do you agree with them?

<strike></strike>

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    It is a corrupt practice if I was to suggest paying to avoid points on my licence I would be in court on more serious charges.

Also the Police don't have anything to do with the courses any revenue goes to the Exchequer.
    Last edited by Alikado; 12/02/2019 at 12:20 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    It is a corrupt practice if I was. To suggest paying to avoid points on my licence I would be in court on .more serious charges.

Also the Police don't have anything to do with the courses any revenue goes to the Exchequer.
    If the money goes direct to the exchequer, is there any pressure on the Police Authorities to reach a target number of drivers?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    If the money goes direct to the exchequer, is there any pressure on the Police Authorities to reach a target number of drivers?
    No, this probably explains why there is large differences between some Police Forces and their neighbours.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/ho...ts-are-issued/

Lancashire & North Wales once viewed as prolific now appear down the list whilst West Yorkshire issued more than TWICE the number than any other responding area.

All these figures need to be taken with a large pinch of salt, how do you compare Urban W Yorks and Rural Dorset etc, Do you compare the amount of Motorway policed or milage of ordinary roads or Population of areas. All will probably produce different stats.
    Last edited by Alikado; 12/02/2019 at 12:41 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    Blog Entries
    I did one a few years ago, obviously better than accruing points, but also very educational, its a long time since passing your test and things have changed. Most people on the course got a lot of situations wrong for speed limits.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I did one a few years ago, obviously better than accruing points, but also very educational, its a long time since passing your test and things have changed. Most people on the course got a lot of situations wrong for speed limits.
    The one I did amazed me, there was a couple on it who shouldn't have been allowed out by themselves never mind behind the wheel, one woman clearly under the influence of something or other, a bloke who was extremely aggressive who thought he was a victim and laws shouldn't apply to him because of his advanced skills on the road. Several on the course couldn't get their head around the fact that they were there because they got caught and the reason they caught was their driving standards.

8. Likes steve, AdmiralAckbar liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you on all of that. Sad really.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    The one I did amazed me, there was a couple on it who shouldn't have been allowed out by themselves never mind behind the wheel, one woman clearly under the influence of something or other, a bloke who was extremely aggressive who thought he was a victim and laws shouldn't apply to him because of his advanced skills on the road.
    There are plenty like that about.....

Other evening I got overtaken by one wally, between the Crem and the 30mph zone on S'port Rd. I was at a full 40mph, yet the guy behind simply booted it past. Same 10 mins later on Norwood Ave (30mph area this time). I was at a full 30mph, yet the car behind shot past me....Amazingly, on return leg, yet another idiot overtook me on S'port Rd when I was again at a full 40mph!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    There will always be idiots on the road - people who could not think sufficiently to pass a basic exam, are allowed to use the roads with a powerful vehicle, where intelligent thinking is absolutely necessary.

Though, there are times, when highly experienced drivers who drive with the utmost care, do have an intuitive faster reaction to road conditions than those with less experience. Sometimes is is safer to go with the flow of the traffic.
    The given speed limits have not been revised in accordance with modern safety technology.

Likes / Dislikes
    I did one three years ago and found very useful as it reminded me of a lot of stuff I'd forgotten, it was an eye opener .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

13. Likes steve liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    There will always be idiots on the road - people who could not think sufficiently to pass a basic exam, are allowed to use the roads with a powerful vehicle, where intelligent thinking is absolutely necessary.

Though, there are times, when highly experienced drivers who drive with the utmost care, do have an intuitive faster reaction to road conditions than those with less experience. Sometimes is is safer to go with the flow of the traffic.
    The given speed limits have not been revised in accordance with modern safety technology.
    Or to take into account the increased volumes of traffic on the roads.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788
Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)