southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Tory party leadership live debate

I'm watching this now live on Channel 4. The first question from the audience was "Why should we trust any of you?"

It was really clear to me that the most uncomfortable answers came from Sunak. After 30 seconds he was talking about Ukraine! Slippery isn't the word.

Second question was "Is Boris Johnson honest, yes or no?" Four of them wouldn't give a yes or no answer. Kemi said "sometimes". Tugenhadt didn't say anything - he just shook his head, probably on advice from his lawyers.

As someone said on another thread - we deserve better than this.

One of these people will be the next Prime Minister, and the message I'm getting is "No change".

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Just had a glance at them and I am not keen on any of them, the obvious thing to me seems to be it’s going to be between Rishy and Penny and I think it will be Rishy and if that’s the case for me they should bring Boris back.

Likes / Dislikes
    The more it goes on, the more it appears that Rishi is supporting Johnson.

The only different answers are coming from Tom. He was the only one who voted against the National Insurance increase.

Likes / Dislikes
    The closing statements were poor. Rishi came out with a Johnson-esque "Let's get it done", whatever that meant, Truss rambled about Ukraine as if she was making excuses for future non-performance, and I can't remember what any of the others said.

I was disappointed with Tom T - he just hasn't got the charisma.

I'm not a Tory voter, but if I was, I'd be worried.

6. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    ive a tory most of my life ,till recent years debacles.tonight was an embarrasment for them ,if this is the best theyhave well lets pass ,the in *****ing was so apparrent not a unified sense of purpose or even respect.and its through the other parties too!our parties have left the people their meant to serve for their own agendas.and sucking up to the woke must be given praises to the services vote.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    The closing statements were poor. Rishi came out with a Johnson-esque "Let's get it done", whatever that meant, Truss rambled about Ukraine as if she was making excuses for future non-performance, and I can't remember what any of the others said.

I was disappointed with Tom T - he just hasn't got the charisma.

I'm not a Tory voter, but if I was, I'd be worried.
    Sod charisma. Isn't that what the last idiot had, apparently. Didn't see it myself.

I'll settle for competence. I'll settle for someone who isn't a millionaire banker, or married to a millionaire banker. Or owned by billionaires.

I'll settle for someone who will build up from the poorest in the country, not bullcrap trickle down.

Because trickle down never, ever works.

That one of these is the next PM, however temporarily, is depressing.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    Just had a glance at them and I am not keen on any of them, the obvious thing to me seems to be it’s going to be between Rishy and Penny and I think it will be Rishy and if that’s the case for me they should bring Boris back.
    given our times dont be surprised if he doe sgive it a go.

Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=Toodles McGinty;6822657]Sod charisma. Isn't that what the last idiot had, apparently. Didn't see it myself. QUOTE]

I agree, and I shouldn't really have used the word 'charisma' - possibly 'presence' would have been a better word.

Whether we like it or not, politicians are only seen by the majority of the electorate on TV, and they make their judgements on what they see and hear in terms of the personality as much as the policies. This is why Hitler and Trump were so successful.

According to a BBC poll, Tugenhadt was the 'winner' tonight, so possibly the electorate are fed up with 'same old'.

11. Likes Toodles McGinty, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post

Whether we like it or not, politicians are only seen by the majority of the electorate on TV, and they make their judgements on what they see and hear in terms of the personality as much as the policies. This is why Hitler and Trump were so successful.

True. And terrifying.

John Crace summed it up in the Graun:

The Tory leadership debate: desperate as a sales pitch, worse as entertainment.

Likes / Dislikes
    Rishi seemed to be the only one that knew what he was talking about, the only one that was not phased and laughing at the madcap opposition that ummed and stammered their way through leaning on woman's votes or votes of the LGBTQ lot, rishi radiated confidence and experience, I don’t like any of them really they are rats deserting a sinking ship but the best one of a bad bunch has to be rishi I have watched him under pressure in a grilling situation and he knows what he is talking about.

14. Likes jamyramy liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Rishi seemed to be the only one that knew what he was talking about, the only one that was not phased and laughing at the madcap opposition that ummed and stammered their way through leaning on woman's votes or votes of the LGBTQ lot, rishi radiated confidence and experience, I don’t like any of them really they are rats deserting a sinking ship but the best one of a bad bunch has to be rishi I have watched him under pressure in a grilling situation and he knows what he is talking about.
    Problem is that the economy he has been in charge of is second lowest in the G20. You can only use Brexit, Covid and Ukraine as excuses for so long.

16. Likes jamyramy, Toodles McGinty, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

18. Likes Styx liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    It was sick.
    The nation looked on while 0.3% of the population get to choose our next leader.
    What they offer is a hotchpotch of irrelevance aimed at that old and prosperous group.
    A quarter of our children now live in poverty. In some areas it's a half.
    Through Brexit and profoundly stupid economic policies we will not grow next year.
    So there is no prospect of help.
    While they squabble about tax cuts.
    Shameful.

20. Likes jamyramy liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

He is good at talking - but he and his wife, both very wealthy, are also known for evading UK taxes while putting up the taxes of the general public in the UK. Sunak also holds a US permanent residency card to hedge his bets! Sunak also did not consider how open to fraud his Covid business loans were. I sincerely hope he is not chosen as PM - he comes across as sleazy!

Likes / Dislikes

A bad bunch

Rishi
    He talks with confidence about stuff he knows about he is hard to fuddle he and wife are wealthy yes but most would avoid / evade paying taxes if they could, people will find a way to fraud stuff it’s an occupation in this country as in many others, he has given up his green card and now pays taxes in this country…I think to do this as it was planned for months by him. Now I don’t support any of them or the other parties, I think Boris should have stayed but that’s another argument for another day, the guy that looks like one of the kingsmen and the two ladies that are not penny look like nodding lost sheep trying to act the part and I think all four of them are just a distraction a false opposition to make it look like there was some sort of competition for Rishi the obvious winner . I don’t like any of them remember they would and have folded in on each other in a second .

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)