southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

What is your opinion

There are a few people around town who take their dogs for a walk - in a push chair? Are you one of these people, or would you put your dog in a pushchair?

While, there are people who have chosen to only eat a vegan diet - and they insist their dog must have a vegan diet also. Do you agree that this is right?

Some dog owners dye their pet dog's coat for a fashion statement. Would you?

Do you put a coat/bootees on your dog? Are you one of these people who does?

I have owned several animals in the past, including dogs. I believe that a dog should be treated as its breed demands. If the dog is a water dog with webbed paws, then I would take it somewhere it could swim. If it was a very large, outdoor breed then that is where it would spend most of its time. If it is a small, short haired fashion dog then it would be kept mostly indoors and would be put in a coat when the weather is cold. A dog needs to have meat and bones to gnaw on to keep its digestion and teeth in good health. All dogs need plenty of exercise. Dogs are happy if they have a leader to follow, this would be the dog owner who should give the dog direction - i.e. train it.

What is your opinion?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Blog Entries
    We have an Airedale Terrier and a black Labrador, both big dogs and loved and have space to enjoy life, thankfully working at home they are not lonely. Grandchildren love animals, cat and pony included, but yesterday they have their first own pet at home where they live in Ireland.

4. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    There are a few people around town who take their dogs for a walk - in a push chair? Are you one of these people, or would you put your dog in a pushchair?
    No

While, there are people who have chosen to only eat a vegan diet - and they insist their dog must have a vegan diet also. Do you agree that this is right?
    No. Dogs should eat meat.

Some dog owners dye their pet dog's coat for a fashion statement. Would you?
    No. Animals should never be fashion statements,

Do you put a coat/bootees on your dog? Are you one of these people who does?
    Yes, I have. Our Winters can be brutally cold, and road salt can cut their paws causing them a lot of pain. The coat's not a problem... the boots never impressed him!

I have owned several animals in the past, including dogs. I believe that a dog should be treated as its breed demands. If the dog is a water dog with webbed paws, then I would take it somewhere it could swim. If it was a very large, outdoor breed then that is where it would spend most of its time. If it is a small, short haired fashion dog then it would be kept mostly indoors and would be put in a coat when the weather is cold. A dog needs to have meat and bones to gnaw on to keep its digestion and teeth in good health. All dogs need plenty of exercise. Dogs are happy if they have a leader to follow, this would be the dog owner who should give the dog direction - i.e. train it.
    What is your opinion?
    I agree with what you say, with one exception. All dogs need to go outside, even small "fashion dogs". Although a small breed may not need a lot of exercise, dogs love to go for a walk, have a good sniff around, see people, and other dogs. They need the stimulus. Being cooped up inside isn't healthy for anyone, human or dog.

I was surprised to read that you have owned dogs. From comments you've made you seemed to dislike them... dirty/unhygienic etc.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    We have an Airedale Terrier and a black Labrador, both big dogs and loved and have space to enjoy life, thankfully working at home they are not lonely. Grandchildren love animals, cat and pony included, but yesterday they have their first own pet at home where they live in Ireland.
    Squeee! What an adorable little puppy.

Your Jaffa is a gorgeous dog. Do you still have Rupert?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post

Awaits with bated breath on the fate of Rupert .........

Likes / Dislikes
    No, no, no and yes.

Likes / Dislikes
    I can't say that i have ever seen a dog in a pushchair or a dog with dyed fur.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    I can't say that i have ever seen a dog in a pushchair or a dog with dyed fur.
    I have seen dogs travelling on a bike, sat in a basket.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
    Awaits with bated breath on the fate of Rupert .........
    Maybe I shouldn't have asked Rupert is a lovely little pony whose antics always made me chuckle. I do hope he's OK, but I know he was getting on a bit.

I forgot about t'other pony, Daisy. She was a newer addition to the Ashcroft menagerie. And Tig the cat!

Likes / Dislikes
    Blog Entries

We sadly lost Rupert a few months ago, went down with colic, still sad about that, he did get to 32 but was the most gentle pony imaginable. Still have pony Daisy though.

A little worried about possibly another loss this year with Tig the cat nearly 20, and Ruby the lab nearly 13.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    We sadly lost Rupert a few months ago, went down with colic, still sad about that, he did get to 32 but was the most gentle pony imaginable. Still have pony Daisy though.
    So sorry to hear that, Steve. 32 is pretty damned good! And he certainly had the best of care and lots of love Chez Ashcroft. I lost a little Appaloosa to colic. A dreadful thing that's all too common with horses of any age. She was only young, I was devastated.

A little worried about possibly another loss this year with Tig the cat nearly 20, and Ruby the lab nearly 13.
    That's the worst of having animals, and something that's always on our mind as they get older... but they're worth all the worry we sometimes have to go through. Nothing beats the unconditional love we get from them.

Our friend's black lab lived to 17! They have always bought another dog when their current dog was getting on in years. When Jen was 13 they bought another lab... and had the 2 of them for 4 more years.

I used to cat sit a 23 year old mog. He was pretty grumpy, used to bite my heels when his food bowl was empty

14. Likes steve liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Blog Entries
    All good ages seivad. Hope ours live as long.

Likes / Dislikes
    No

No. Dogs should eat meat.

No. Animals should never be fashion statements,

Yes, I have. Our Winters can be brutally cold, and road salt can cut their paws causing them a lot of pain. The coat's not a problem... the boots never impressed him!

I agree with what you say, with one exception. All dogs need to go outside, even small "fashion dogs". Although a small breed may not need a lot of exercise, dogs love to go for a walk, have a good sniff around, see people, and other dogs. They need the stimulus. Being cooped up inside isn't healthy for anyone, human or dog.

I was surprised to read that you have owned dogs. From comments you've made you seemed to dislike them... dirty/unhygienic etc.
    All animals kept in a house are unhygienic - would you live in a dog kennels?

Likes / Dislikes

"Nothing beats the unconditional love we get from them."

I don't buy that. I go along with the other school of thought. Dogs do not have human feelings. That is the problem with a lot of dog owners - they believe that their own personal feelings are reciprocated in an animal. (
    Jon Katz, who has written extensively on the bond between humans and dogs)

"Dogs develop very strong, instinctive attachments to the people who feed and care for them," said Katz, Their attachment is, in fact, "extremely conditional," Katz said. "They'll respond to anyone who gives them food and attention. I have a wonderful Labrador retriever who's very happy here. But if you had hamburger meat on you, she'd gladly go to Chicago with you and never look back."

He added, "I don't mean to imply that dogs aren't great. I love my dogs. But I don't need to pretend that they're like people. That doesn't do them any good. Dogs are happiest when you treat and train them as dogs, not children."

Likes / Dislikes
    Obviously not. Living in an environment where you're surrounded by dogs is hardly the same as having a dog in your home, where the standards of cleanliness are far higher.

You say "I have owned several animals in the past, including dogs."
    You then discuss all of the scenarios re. type of dog, and the environment that it should live in. Not one of your examples says a dog should always live outside. So I assume that you too have had the dirty beasts in your house.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)