southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Replacements are already in place, Rabb has the poisoned chalice and there is a long line to replace Charles who I thought looked very unwell when he popped up out of his surprisingly short isolation.
    Raab in charge. Oh my. Should at least put Cummings out of the picture for a while. Which can only be a good thing.

Let's hope these cross party meetings bear fruit.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    He was a great speaker at rallies. I saw him several times. This never translated to TV, as far as I could see. I liked his 'radical' manifestos, although breaking them down, they weren't that radical. Not exactly Marxist. I liked a lot of his policies, though not all of them. His belief in nationalising certain industries (rail, water are two we don't have a choice in anyway). Higher corporation tax, as ours is very low compared to most major countries.

I admired the way he attracted many more members to the party, but I didn't like the influence of Momentum. They are pretty much consigned to a backwater now, looking at the recent election results. I suppose for many, he was a breath of fresh air after decades of centrism. He believed in what he was saying. It wasn't just lip service to get into power.

I liked the fact that he came across as genuine. A complete opposite to the Tories. Although having said that, I didn't appreciate at the time how many one-nation old school Tories there were until the party fell under the thrall of the ERG who basically strong-armed them out of there. I did say I'd miss Theresa one day.

On the other hand, there was a lot I didn't like. Momentum I've already mentioned. The whole issue of antisemitism should have been stamped out as soon as it started. The 4 'M's' and their influence. If you don't know them, a quick Google will reveal all. Not very interesting, to be fair. The swing too far to the left. For me, anyway.

He had far too much baggage that he didn't address. That made it fairly easy for the press to absolutely crucify him. He totally sat on the fence with Brexit. I understand the whole 'have a second referendum, then we'll negotiate terms'. That would have been fine had he actually had a position in the first place. And I think he started to believe the Messiah bit as much as his most devout followers.

That about covers it. Sorry for the long post. Looking forward to a new chapter now.

You went to see him speak at rallies?Gosh that is quite a devotion
    to a man in politics.

The Messiah bit is true-perhaps that is why the press crucified him.

Likes / Dislikes

Question Who likes Keir Starmer? Does it matter?

A quick review of this thread appears to indicate not overmuch confidence in Keir Starmer, e.g.:
    — and that's before he [Starmer] slipped out of the discussions!

Everyone can think of things to dislike with respect of Sir Keir — his countless waffles; backsliding on the single market and free movement — so, who will be the next Labour leader?

Labour's Keir Starmer gestures, during the Labour leadership hustings … Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020 (Jane Barlow/PA via AP)
    Keir Starmer: From radical lawyer to leader of a Labour party that needs uniting

Leading the Labour party is the proverbial poisoned chalice.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    A quick review of this thread appears to indicate not overmuch confidence in Keir Starmer, e.g.:
    — and that's before he [Starmer] slipped out of the discussions!

Those posts you're quoting are from over 2 and a half years ago! There's more confidence in him, now.

Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    Everyone can think of things to dislike with respect of Sir Keir — his countless waffles; backsliding on the single market and free movement — so, who will be the next Labour leader?
    I wouldn't know who would be the next Labour leader. There doesn't appear to be any appetite for, need for, or prospect of a Labour leadership contest on the horizon. It's the Tories who have constructed a revolving door for the entrance and exits of their leaders.

Likes / Dislikes
    Interesting thread to look back on.

Especially the 'Labour will fall apart', 'Labour will cease to exist' and '#labourinoppositionfortheforeseeable' comments.Talk about a week is a long time in politics.
    Polling suggests Labour will walk the next election. Starmer has business on his side. He's taken a more right wing approach than I'd like, but a lot can change between now and the next election.

Nothing is set in stone, of course.

It does amuse me to read the negative comments about Starmer. Though I have my reservations (I always do, no leader is perfect) it suggests cold fear from the frothers.

It's a great shame for all of us that this has all been the Tories own making. The rats are already jumping ship. Then again, Labour will have one shot at it. They have the almost impossible task of turning the country round in four years. If they don't, let's hope it's a more traditional Tory party that emerges from the opposition benches.

Likes / Dislikes

Post Britain will almost certainly have a Labour government in two years’ time: …

If Labour’s leadership is hobbling internal candidates,
    is it fit to run a democracy?

Mounting evidence of dirty tricks against prospective MPs can’t be dismissed as leftwing sour grapes.
    We were promised a ‘broad church’

Likes / Dislikes
    Watch out for Bridget Philipson.

9. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Likes / Dislikes
    As the Tories have shown they still exist with a new leader/s

Why Labour can't drop the liar and put themselves in a stronger position I don't know.

Why are his obsequious supporters sticking their heads in the sand with him, he is a liar who will do anything and say anything to get power.

More principled members of his own party are calling him out.

Perhaps if the poll lead starts to drop they will stand up for integrity and decency.

There is a marginal closing but not enough to stir up the honest ones to have the courage it seems.

Likes / Dislikes
    That is a cracker.
    Advice from local re the importance of honesty and integrity...

13. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    That is a cracker.
    Advice from local re the importance of honesty and integrity...

Any examples of otherwise Rodney?

I know pointing out the groupthinks hero as a liar and providing proof isn't very popular with you but no need to make groundless accusations is there?

Likes / Dislikes
    Right

Since I joined this forum some years ago I can recall you routinely jumping to the defence of one Tory after another caught in lies, corruption and inappropriate behaviour.

Multiple examples...Paterson, Gove, Williamson..and of course the master of them all, Johnson whose career was built on a constant stream of lies.Something his defenders never "got" about his demise after "Partygate" was less about what he did as it was the perfect demonstration of his default setting to lie about everything.

For you to harp on about Starmer lying is laughable. And not even arguable. The example you give re Brexit shows that you still don't realise that simply voting "leave" did not do anything to clarify what follows. But then if they HAD specified in detail and honestly what would follow they would never have won, would they?

16. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Starmer has been in politics for about seven years , is that a qualification to be our next PM .

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassroots2 View Post
    Starmer has been in politics for about seven years , is that a qualification to be our next PM .
    About as long as Sunak, I'd say. Maybe a year less. Maybe not that much. Both around 2014.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    for you to harp on about starmer lying is laughable. And not even arguable.

"Starmer!!!!!!!"

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)