southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 12/02/2020 01:27 PMReported by: roving-eye
    Some great news this lunchtime for Southport residents after MP Damien Moore encouraged the Prime Minister to consider the restoration of the Burscough Curves rail link.

    At Prime Minister’s Questions in Parliament, the Conservative MP put the question to Boris Johnson, saying

    “The prime minster has made transport connectivity a main priority for this government. Would he agree with me that connecting my constituency of Southport with Preston through the Burscough Curves link, not only give my constituents greater access to the rail network but will help us unleash our economic potential?”

    The Prime Minister answered positively in typical Boris fashion with the response,
    “Well, look, I congratulate my honourable friend on what he has done and for the campaign for the restoration of the Burscough curves, and, er, it sounds to me like a great idea. I will make, what he needs to do is put forward a costed business plan and I’m sure my right honourable friend the transport secretary will be looking at it very carefully.”

    Questions at Prime Minister’s Questions are always carefully considered and, as they gain massive coverage, are usually acted upon.

    The new Conservative government has pledged billions of pounds in funding to restore and update transport infrastructure and make the country better connected, especially in the Northern Powerhouse regions.

    This signals the start of what could be a process that could see the reintroduction of direct rail services from Southport to Preston thus giving travellers more choice and access to further destinations and also giving tourists and visitors to the town, especially from the North and Scotland, greater connectivity.
     

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Likes The PNP liked this post
  3. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk





    Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

    Your Comments:


  4. Alikado says:12/02/2020 03:59 PM
    He's this weeks stooge to feed the tame question.

    The Burscough Curves make no sense, what needs reinstating is the old line to Preston which would serve Churchtown, Crossens, Banks, Tarleton, Hesketh Bank, Hutton & Penwortham.

  5. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  6. said says:12/02/2020 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post
    Some great news this lunchtime for Southport residents after MP Damien Moore encouraged the Prime Minister to consider the restoration of the Burscough Curves rail link.

    At Prime Minister’s Questions in Parliament, the Conservative MP put the question to Boris Johnson, saying

    “The prime minster has made transport connectivity a main priority for this government. Would he agree with me that connecting my constituency of Southport with Preston through the Burscough Curves link, not only give my constituents greater access to the rail network but will help us unleash our economic potential?”

    The Prime Minister answered positively in typical Boris fashion with the response,
    “Well, look, I congratulate my honourable friend on what he has done and for the campaign for the restoration of the Burscough curves, and, er, it sounds to me like a great idea. I will make, what he needs to do is put forward a costed business plan and I’m sure my right honourable friend the transport secretary will be looking at it very carefully.”

    Questions at Prime Minister’s Questions are always carefully considered and, as they gain massive coverage, are usually acted upon.

    The new Conservative government has pledged billions of pounds in funding to restore and update transport infrastructure and make the country better connected, especially in the Northern Powerhouse regions.

    This signals the start of what could be a process that could see the reintroduction of direct rail services from Southport to Preston thus giving travellers more choice and access to further destinations and also giving tourists and visitors to the town, especially from the North and Scotland, greater connectivity.

    Well done and Congratulations to Mr. Moore - let's hope that the Burscough Curves are opened once again.

    I am sure that the other councillors who announced their deep loyalty and dedication to a town they loved and who stood for election for Southport in December, will join me in congratulating Mr. Moore.

  7. Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  8. paulollie says:12/02/2020 04:45 PM
    Positive, Question, Comments and hopefully Action.

    Bad Idea I always thought taking the line out from Southport to Preston but that's hindsight for you.

    Reinstating the line would prove too costly with all the residential, commercial enterprises and impacts between here and Preston, HS2 again, I'm not knocking HS2 by the way.

    The least costly and most feasible is putting the curves back in I personally think.

    Lets see what happens the Government is promising a lot which is great. However there will be doom & gloom muppets aplenty no doubt.

  9. Likes The PNP liked this post
  10. salus.populi says:12/02/2020 05:39 PM
    He's asked him to consider something. Rejoice. Rejoice.

  11. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  12. bambi275 says:12/02/2020 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    He's this weeks stooge to feed the tame question.

    The Burscough Curves make no sense, what needs reinstating is the old line to Preston which would serve Churchtown, Crossens, Banks, Tarleton, Hesketh Bank, Hutton & Penwortham.
    What route did the Burscough curves take & when was the route you are discussing decommissioned?

  13. Gertie says:12/02/2020 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    He's this weeks stooge to feed the tame question.

    The Burscough Curves make no sense, what needs reinstating is the old line to Preston which would serve Churchtown, Crossens, Banks, Tarleton, Hesketh Bank, Hutton & Penwortham.

    Not very practical through my garden ?

  14. Likes The PNP liked this post
  15. Ceam says:12/02/2020 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    Not very practical through my garden ?
    Always going to be some relocation if railways are being introduced.

  16. salus.populi says:13/02/2020 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

    I am sure that the other councillors who announced their deep loyalty and dedication to a town they loved and who stood for election for Southport in December, will join me in congratulating Mr. Moore.
    All he's done is ask a question. Hardly cause for congratulations

  17. silver fox says:13/02/2020 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    He's this weeks stooge to feed the tame question.

    The Burscough Curves make no sense, what needs reinstating is the old line to Preston which would serve Churchtown, Crossens, Banks, Tarleton, Hesketh Bank, Hutton & Penwortham.
    Reinstating that particular line is a non starter, that line including stations, crossings and bridges was ripped up with almost indecent haste, it would require a complete new route and line.

    Much of the old route has been developed to the extent that unless you know where the line ran, you would never find it.

  18. Alikado says:13/02/2020 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    Not very practical through my garden ?
    It could be reinstated relatively easily with only a few alterations to the route, instead of branching off before Meols Cop branch off at Foul Lane towards the old Crossens Station, build a new station, head towards Banks, then onwards towards Tarleton / Hesketh Bank & Preston. That would be far easier to justify than reinstating the Burscough Curves which although cheaper only replaces changing at Burscough. using that circuitous route to Preston if the curves were to be reinstated would still take as long as the Bus.

  19. silver fox says:13/02/2020 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    It could be reinstated relatively easily with only a few alterations to the route, instead of branching off before Meols Cop branch off at Foul Lane towards the old Crossens Station, build a new station, head towards Banks, then onwards towards Tarleton / Hesketh Bank & Preston. That would be far easier to justify than reinstating the Burscough Curves which although cheaper only replaces changing at Burscough. using that circuitous route to Preston if the curves were to be reinstated would still take as long as the Bus.
    Not sure where you think the line could possibly go, the old route has been built on for much of the way, certainly through Banks, Hesketh Bank there is nowhere for a line to go through, the bridge over the canal and river Douglas is long gone and is now inaccessible anyway, can't think just where a new line could actually go.

  20. Nash says:15/02/2020 10:55 AM
    Wow! Damien asked a question. Hope he has had a nap to recover from the effort (must be trying to improve on has rating of 611/650 from the last parliament.)

    Amused by the quote

    "Questions at Prime Minister’s Questions are always carefully considered and, as they gain massive coverage, are usually acted upon."

    With a do nothing PM, doubt there will be any change by the next GE.


Custom Search

You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


Privacy & Cookie Policy


       
   Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk
Christmas trees in southport
Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Bulk Aggregates in southport
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal





UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854
Supporting Local Business
30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808

Supporting Local Business
Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
Supporting Local Business
2 Cambride Arcade, Southport, PR8 1AS
Established in Cambridge Walks for 9 years, John Antony specialises in different quality designer footwear and bags.
WEBSITE     TEL: 549729


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)