southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    5,701
    Likes / Dislikes

    The Victoria Hotel

    I'm trying to find out some information about the hotel. Does anyone know when it closed? I know it was used during the war (World War 2) for the civil service. Did it reopen as a hotel after the war? I think it was demolished in 1970
    Maisie BA(Hons)
    credit me with some intelligence

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,364
    Likes / Dislikes

    Victoria hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by maisie View Post
    I'm trying to find out some information about the hotel. Does anyone know when it closed? I know it was used during the war (World War 2) for the civil service. Did it reopen as a hotel after the war? I think it was demolished in 1970
    The place it used to sit on is now Flats do remember it was a scruffy place in the end vic dive I think they called it 😳 It probably was a hotel at one time ? Older posters will see this and confirm 😊
    Blackys Dad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    HighPark
    Posts
    275
    Likes / Dislikes
    My mum worked there for around a year in the early 50's
    She doesn't remember much about it apart from it was very boring, compiling information from census forms onto punch cards. Once in work you were locked in for the day! Apparently she was one of the lucky ones, sat by a window where she could look down onto Neville St below.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dreaming of Tuesday nights!
    Posts
    14,896
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by blackys dad View Post
    The place it used to sit on is now Flats do remember it was a scruffy place in the end vic dive I think they called it 😳 It probably was a hotel at one time ? Older posters will see this and confirm 😊
    I don't know much about the Victoria Hotel but I do know that the Vic Dive was actually only the Vaults. I went in there once.

     
    Weather forecast for tonight: Dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.
    George Carlin.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    Likes / Dislikes

    The Victoria / the Vick Dive.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackys dad View Post
    The place it used to sit on is now Flats do remember it was a scruffy place in the end vic dive I think they called it 😳 It probably was a hotel at one time ? Older posters will see this and confirm 😊
    John James bought it in the 80s,and demolished it it was a listed building you can do anything when you have counselors in your back pocket.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Manchester Hills'
    Posts
    18,888
    Likes / Dislikes
    I have a photo a relative told me was taken in the bar of The Victoria Hotel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    southport
    Posts
    8,266
    Likes / Dislikes
    We used to go in the bar upstairs for a beer on Thursdays before going to the Somewhere Else club across the road. It was very nice with velvet chairs. It was also very quiet ! The Vic Dive downstairs was wild ! Never went in there !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ainsdale on Sea
    Posts
    7,681
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by truthteller View Post
    John James bought it in the 80s,and demolished it it was a listed building you can do anything when you have counselors in your back pocket.
    Maritime Court was built in the early 1970's

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    Likes / Dislikes

    You are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by *concerned* View Post
    Maritime Court was built in the early 1970's
    Got my times wrong

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Manchester Hills'
    Posts
    18,888
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas King View Post
    We used to go in the bar upstairs for a beer on Thursdays before going to the Somewhere Else club across the road. It was very nice with velvet chairs. It was also very quiet ! The Vic Dive downstairs was wild ! Never went in there !
    Do you recognise this bar chas?

    I think the photo was taken after 1950 and before 1962.
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,766
    Likes / Dislikes
    Went in the vic dive many a time whistling Winnie was always in there
    She moved over to one of the three pubs on Eastbank st you could hear her Two pubs away by god she could whistle

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    southport
    Posts
    8,266
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Do you recognise this bar chas?

    I think the photo was taken after 1950 and before 1962.
    I do not recognise the bar in the photo ! Was it the Victoria ? It was a long time ago !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Manchester Hills'
    Posts
    18,888
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas King View Post
    I do not recognise the bar in the photo ! Was it the Victoria ? It was a long time ago !
    I am not sure Chas it was a comment remembered from some time ago.

    Found this interesting photo from the internet.
     

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    20,050
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    I am not sure Chas it was a comment remembered from some time ago.

    Found this interesting photo from the internet.
    Although it looks familiar I dont know where that is. Interestingly though, the Jaguar Mark 2 parked at the kerb would be a 1967 model or thereabouts.
    Just be yourself, no one else is better qualified!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    southport
    Posts
    8,266
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    I am not sure Chas it was a comment remembered from some time ago.

    Found this interesting photo from the internet.
    I remember the steps up to the lounge bar well. I would think that this photo is about 1971 looking at the fashions. The Somewhere Else Club can be seen further down on the LHS with its canopies over the upstairs windows. Sure I used to go out with the girl on the right with the long hair !

Custom Search


You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


Privacy & Cookie Policy


       
   Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk
Christmas trees in southport
Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Bulk Aggregates in southport
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal





UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788
Supporting Local Business
45a Sussex Road, Southport, PR9 0SR
Manufacturers of quality blinds and curtains including vertical, venetian, roller, pleated and roman. We are specialists in Conservatory blinds and motorisation. We also offer a full free measuring and fitting service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 548247

Supporting Local Business
25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
Supporting Local Business
127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)