st andrews, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
-->
  1. vegetarianism

    I'm not vegetarian although I do eat and enjoy fruit and veg, I have no issue with those who chose a vegetarian diet and/or lifestyle, it's a free country after all.

    However of late, vegetarians and particularly those of vegan persuasion have become almost militant in promoting and attempting to convert others, why?

    This set me to thinking (OK I know that's dangerous at my age) but we are being deluged with claims that a veggy diet is a healthier, cleaner and better diet for humans.

    OK, since humans arrived on this planet we have been omnivores, this is one reason why we have spread to most parts of the planet, our ability to survive and thrive on a wide variety of food has stood us in good stead. There have been some whose diet has been almost exclusively carnivorous such as the Eskimo and nomadic herders, but don't know of any of our ancestors who have been exclusively or even predominantly vegetarian.

    When ancient settlements are unearthed the bones of fish, fowl or animals are always found, indicating clearly the diet of these long gone people, mainly because we have evolved as omnivores, so how can an exclusive vegetarian diet be a better diet for humans?

  2. YOUR COMMENTS:


  3. Yes, some vegetarians have . Vegans, as you say, are particularly prone to evangalising. It is becoming more prevalent because it is now linked to a strategy to reduce global warming and improve animal welfare. I think there is some merit in this but I agree that humans have evolved to be omnivorous. We need to be shown ways to eat less meat, just as we should eat less sugar oe drink less alcohol. I eat quite a lot of vegetarian meals because I find them tasty not because I am a vegetarian.
    Because we are fortunate to live in a society where everything is available most of the time we haven't had time yet to adjust to a better diet.

  4. I wondered if our son would be a Vegan until a girlfriend charmed him.
    Unfortunately he was just too attractive to Vegan girls!

    After a day (guilt) trip out by car Mr Hamble and I decided not to show too much interest in their diet any more.



    Even M&S have got a new range of meals 'plant based'.

  5. I have been a 'vegetarian' since I was a child!


    After having some meat that was of dubious freshness (not the fault of my Mum - I hasten to add) I flatly refused to eat any meat (including fish or chicken). I was only about 6 at the time.

    Apparently we had some meat that was not particularly fresh. Rationing was still in place!


    Since then I have only ever eaten any meat when I was at my (then) boyfriends (now husband's) home..... until I was brave enough to tell his mother that I didn't like any meat (fish or chicken)!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post
    I have been a 'vegetarian' since I was a child!


    After having some meat that was of dubious freshness (not the fault of my Mum - I hasten to add) I flatly refused to eat any meat (including fish or chicken). I was only about 6 at the time.

    Apparently we had some meat that was not particularly fresh. Rationing was still in place!


    Since then I have only ever eaten any meat when I was at my (then) boyfriends (now husband's) home..... until I was brave enough to tell his mother that I didn't like any meat (fish or chicken)!
    That is your personal choice, not a problem, but you don't spend your time beating the drum and promoting a veggie lifestyle as some appear to be.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    That is your personal choice, not a problem, but you don't spend your time beating the drum and promoting a veggie lifestyle as some appear to be.
    exactly... I just go my own way and cook meat/chicken for other members of my family!

    I don't actually handle the stuff …. However I have implements that mean I don't have to actually handle the meat/fish/chicken!

  8. Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post
    exactly... I just go my own way and cook meat/chicken for other members of my family!

    I don't actually handle the stuff …. However I have implements that mean I don't have to actually handle the meat/fish/chicken!
    You are not obsessive unless you have separate plates utensils and fridge.

    The vegans only concession in our house is a on cupboard and one shelf in the fridge.
    From our point of view this is due to the them being visitors and the need not to waste specially bought replacements.
    They use or take home or leave for us to 'try'or finish.

  9. Gone are the days of enjoying a good steak with my adult children, both went veggie, one vegan for a while.

    Their choice but don’t think I could. My partner and I both brought up on farms so highly unlikely we will go veggie.

    Chicken tonight and really fancy lamb for a Sunday lunch

  10. Certain modern practices can only happen because society has reached a technologically advanced stage to allow it, eg Vegetarianism, trans etc.

    However come the apocalypse you probably wouldnt be able to find one for dust.

    According to quigleys seven stages of civilisation, things like vegetarianism tend to happen toward the end, eg stage 5.

    Which is what we are experiencing at the moment, however Stage 6 is fast approaching:

    6. Decay

    Once it becomes clear that the bulk of a civilization's wealth has been used up, the decline is usually mercifully swift. "Mercifully," because this is a period of great distress.

    During this time, as recognition of the civilization's poverty spreads, the standard of living falls quickly. Law and order break down. Civil unrest sparks protests, some of which turn violent. Taxes cannot be collected, and other forms of public service such as military service (and military actions themselves) are resisted. Property cannot be protected except (if at all) by force. Personal violence becomes a daily occurrence. Trade fails, as fraud can no longer be punished. Town life fails; basic survival needs force people into the country where they can grow food, and the "middle class" disappears. Religious revivals sweep the land. The medical technology that sustains life becomes difficult or impossible to obtain, resulting in high rates of infant mortality and shortened lifespans. Finally, literacy itself fails.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by sconney View Post
    Certain modern practices can only happen because society has reached a technologically advanced stage to allow it, eg Vegetarianism, trans etc.

    However come the apocalypse you probably wouldnt be able to find one for dust.

    According to quigleys seven stages of civilisation, things like vegetarianism tend to happen toward the end, eg stage 5.

    Which is what we are experiencing at the moment, however Stage 6 is fast approaching:

    6. Decay

    Once it becomes clear that the bulk of a civilization's wealth has been used up, the decline is usually mercifully swift. "Mercifully," because this is a period of great distress.

    During this time, as recognition of the civilization's poverty spreads, the standard of living falls quickly. Law and order break down. Civil unrest sparks protests, some of which turn violent. Taxes cannot be collected, and other forms of public service such as military service (and military actions themselves) are resisted. Property cannot be protected except (if at all) by force. Personal violence becomes a daily occurrence. Trade fails, as fraud can no longer be punished. Town life fails; basic survival needs force people into the country where they can grow food, and the "middle class" disappears. Religious revivals sweep the land. The medical technology that sustains life becomes difficult or impossible to obtain, resulting in high rates of infant mortality and shortened lifespans. Finally, literacy itself fails.
    Is this before or after Brexit.

  12. don't take my word for it SF, its only the age of decadence that allows such indulgences. But to try to force ones beliefs, be they political, religious or vegan as the thread begins, is frankly bang out of order.

    But its not just veganism, every minority on the planet are using modern media to force their opinions on a weary majority.

    TBH mate Im sick to death of it. I am simply not interested in what somebody elses sexual/political/foody preference is, so why do they think I am?

    Unfortunately its a symptom of the age we live in. check this out:

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z7Gc1bv-Mj4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  13. Quote Originally Posted by sconney View Post
    Certain modern practices can only happen because society has reached a technologically advanced stage to allow it, eg Vegetarianism, trans etc.
    "Modern Practices"? Have a read of "The Bloodless Revolution" by Tristram Stuart. A scholarly account of the cultural history of vegetarianism from 1600 to the current day (well at least until 2006 when the book was published!)

    Being a veggie isn't simply a new fad!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by sconney View Post
    Certain modern practices can only happen because society has reached a technologically advanced stage to allow it, eg Vegetarianism, trans etc.

    However come the apocalypse you probably wouldnt be able to find one for dust.

    According to quigleys seven stages of civilisation, things like vegetarianism tend to happen toward the end, eg stage 5.

    Which is what we are experiencing at the moment, however Stage 6 is fast approaching:

    6. Decay

    Once it becomes clear that the bulk of a civilization's wealth has been used up, the decline is usually mercifully swift. "Mercifully," because this is a period of great distress.

    During this time, as recognition of the civilization's poverty spreads, the standard of living falls quickly. Law and order break down. Civil unrest sparks protests, some of which turn violent. Taxes cannot be collected, and other forms of public service such as military service (and military actions themselves) are resisted. Property cannot be protected except (if at all) by force. Personal violence becomes a daily occurrence. Trade fails, as fraud can no longer be punished. Town life fails; basic survival needs force people into the country where they can grow food, and the "middle class" disappears. Religious revivals sweep the land. The medical technology that sustains life becomes difficult or impossible to obtain, resulting in high rates of infant mortality and shortened lifespans. Finally, literacy itself fails.
    Good post. We are supposed to be towards the arse end of the 6th Great Extinction.

    I've no problem with a veggie or vegan diet for whoever wants it. I like meat, but not to the point I couldn't give it up if necessary. I know that too much of our pasture is given over to animal feed, in climate change terms. But I wonder if we could sustain ourselves if we all just decided to go vegetarian next week? Wouldn't it take years to produce the amount of food needed?

  15. I am what you could call a Lacto-vegetarian...

    Since the age of around 6 or 7 I have rejected eating meat because I do not like the taste texture or flavour of it!

    I certainly do not push vegetarianism upon anyone else and regularly cook meat/fish/chicken for my family.

    I just do not eat it!

  16. Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post
    I am what you could call a Lacto-vegetarian...

    Since the age of around 6 or 7 I have rejected eating meat because I do not like the taste texture or flavour of it!

    I certainly do not push vegetarianism upon anyone else and regularly cook meat/fish/chicken for my family.

    I just do not eat it!
    Hiya Ped. Yeh Fox's thread is about the pushing of the agenda onto others, he chose vegetarianism but my point was that its a charge which could be raise against any movement, whether mainstream or minority.

    Unfortunately the net, and certain social media sites which ought to know better, gives them a mouthpiece.


    Toodles thanks for the nod mate. Yep it's getting close. Those one-percenters / globalist like soros etc are literally driving us all to despair mate - seriously. Its happening in Paris, Greece, etc.

    Theres a lad on my team at work who announced last week he is reliant on his local foodbank. This is a lad who works full time plus all the overtime God sends. More and more working people are having to rely on them.

    I expect the rioting to spread as more and more begin to fall into despar.


You are in: UK / St Andrews / Scotland
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for St Andrews

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


Privacy & Cookie Policy


       
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
st andrewsst andrews News



Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)