UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 03/03/2021 10:11 PMReported by: rogerblaxall
    I’ve been a regular visitor to the Ormskirk job centre - mainly to follow up stories for QLocal - but I must say I didn’t know that to expect with my first visit to the town's new ‘jab’ centre.

This story starts last week with an official NHS letter in the obligatory brown envelope informing me that my time had come – for a jab that is.

It took me all of five minutes to register although the promised text confirming my appointment never did arrive, leading to another short wait at the reception centre; I'd parked at the opposite end of the massive EHU car park which would prove useful later…

Soon, I was in an eerily quiet sports hall and met Vin, working with the town's Aspire Pharmacy. A very personable young man from West Bromwich, we chatted while I prepared my arm ('which one sir, right or left?') and before I knew it, I’d been done. I had a flu jab a month ago so knew what to expect but it really was painless - and I’m not a big fan of needles (is anyone?)

Getting ready to leave minutes later, as a young Asian man, Vin commented on the amount of disinformation (the polite word for lies) there is on Facebook and other social media which unfortunately he said a sizeable minority of BAME people are believing ...

“I wish there wasn’t any of that scummy information,” was his parting shot as he handed me my paperwork before I left the hall, accompanied by a lady from Parbold who was vaccinated as her mum’s carer.

I was told I’d need at least ten minutes for my 64-year-old body to acclimatise to the vaccine so cancelled a works related drive to Chorley, and also took the afternoon off from another part time job in Ormskirk.

It was this morning that I really felt the aftermath - I am usually up at 6 to post news on QLocal but was so knackered (a technical term for tired) I had my porridge and cuppa and returned to bed at around 8 and woke up at 11‘ish.

All things considered, the jab is nothing at all to worry about; what’s a few aches and pains set against Covid immunity? Jab no. 2 will be in mid-May and I can honestly say that I’m looking forward to it….

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. minorityvoice says:04/03/2021 06:11 PM
    I'm so relieved you informed us that Vin is an asian man Roger, such vital information that was really imperative to this story. I look forward to hearing about all the other stories you have from your travels around the town - make sure you tell us of their ethnicity because it is clearly vitally important! (a technical example of a sarcastic response).

4. old fart says:04/03/2021 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by minorityvoice View Post
    I'm so relieved you informed us that Vin is an asian man Roger, such vital information that was really imperative to this story. I look forward to hearing about all the other stories you have from your travels around the town - make sure you tell us of their ethnicity because it is clearly vitally important! (a technical example of a sarcastic response).
    Did you actually read the article before you had your usual pop at the article writer?

The ethnicity of the vaccinator is relevant in the context of the conversation that Vin initiated with the article writer (note not the other way round) about the misinformation affecting vaccine take up among ethnic minorities.

5. minorityvoice says:04/03/2021 09:43 PM
    By article writer do you mean "Q Local's busy Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall"?

I still don't agree that the necessity to specify his ethnicity is relevant. Are you suggesting only members of BAME communities can discuss this matter?

6. EDDIE12 says:04/03/2021 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by minorityvoice View Post
    By article writer do you mean "Q Local's busy Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall"?

I still don't agree that the necessity to specify his ethnicity is relevant. Are you suggesting only members of BAME communities can discuss this matter?
    You are obviously superior at choosing your words, far better than anyone else on this site. This could not be more apparent than by the name you have chosen for yourself.

7. minorityvoice says:05/03/2021 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE12 View Post
    You are obviously superior at choosing your words, far better than anyone else on this site. This could not be more apparent than by the name you have chosen for yourself.
    no I wouldn’t go that far, there are a few on here who see sense and see past the tactics Blaxall employs to put across “news”.

8. rogerblaxall says:05/03/2021 09:35 AM
    Posted soon on QLocal 'New open all hours mini mart opens in Ormskirk'. Guess what - it's owned by a hard working Asian man and his friends from Southport! Been to see him three times and a nicer man you couldn't wish to meet; over to you minorityvoice!

9. TowerAndSteeple says:05/03/2021 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblaxall View Post
    Posted soon on QLocal 'New open all hours mini mart opens in Ormskirk'. Guess what - it's owned by a hard working Asian man and his friends from Southport! Been to see him three times and a nicer man you couldn't wish to meet; over to you minorityvoice!
    The undertone here Roger is "You'll never believe it - I've met an Asian man and he's actually quite nice!"

When you originally reported on this mini-mart potentially opening after seeing the owners being shown around, I also found it unnecessary and offensive for you to needlessly reference the owner's race in the story.

Just out of interest, why did you do that?

10. minorityvoice says:05/03/2021 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TowerAndSteeple View Post
    The undertone here Roger is "You'll never believe it - I've met an Asian man and he's actually quite nice!"

When you originally reported on this mini-mart potentially opening after seeing the owners being shown around, I also found it unnecessary and offensive for you to needlessly reference the owner's race in the story.

Just out of interest, why did you do that?

and this here is my very point. Okay, i've been a little bit over picky with this exact article but I do find it staggering Roger that you'll respond to me in this story because you have people supporting you but you won't respond to myself or TowerAndSteeple in the aforementioned article (the one you're referring to, so you already know what I am talking about) to explain why you chose to only refer to the ethnicity of someone when they are not White British like it is in any way relevant to the story.

I wrote to you a number of years ago with a complaint of both racist and homophobic comments you had made in stories which you believe are "jokes" and your response was to not apologise. I have since seen similar comments in your articles over the years so you clearly have no intention to change.

You won't answer the query of TowerAndSteeple in this thread, like you didn't answer the queries we made during the initial incident because you don't feel like you are doing anything wrong. That is the problem.

Wake up Roger, it's not 1980 anymore.

11. EDDIE12 says:05/03/2021 06:11 PM
    The keyboard complainers ramp up the rhetoric totally detracting from some of the very important issues raised by the article. Totally ignoring the message the pharmacist was trying to get across, they proceed to vent their point scoring anger.
    They are so very keen to show their inclusive credentials and how righteous they are they completely detract from what was written. The major concern of Vin was that some ethnic groups were more reluctant to have the injection. Being disproportionally represented in the fatalities is an obvious concern to him.

The irony is that in this case ethnicity is very important. The two main protagonists show no sympathy only utter contempt for the very group they purport to be defending. No sympathy has been expressed for their plight, no empathy towards Vin trying to make his point.

I find it mystifying why anybody who expresses such strong disdain for the content and the writer continues to view the site and then complain again and again and again.

12. TowerAndSteeple says:06/03/2021 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE12 View Post
    The keyboard complainers ramp up the rhetoric totally detracting from some of the very important issues raised by the article. Totally ignoring the message the pharmacist was trying to get across, they proceed to vent their point scoring anger.
    They are so very keen to show their inclusive credentials and how righteous they are they completely detract from what was written. The major concern of Vin was that some ethnic groups were more reluctant to have the injection. Being disproportionally represented in the fatalities is an obvious concern to him.

The irony is that in this case ethnicity is very important. The two main protagonists show no sympathy only utter contempt for the very group they purport to be defending. No sympathy has been expressed for their plight, no empathy towards Vin trying to make his point.

I find it mystifying why anybody who expresses such strong disdain for the content and the writer continues to view the site and then complain again and again and again.
    I have to disagree with you - it's pretty clear to me that what has gone on here is that in the pursuit of a 'story', Roger has proactively asked Vin his thoughts about some in BAME groups not taking the vaccine, just because he happens to be an Asian man. I was also interested to see Roger pointedly refer to the fact that Vin was from West Bromwich, as if there's no way somebody of Asian heritage could ever be from Ormskirk or the surrounding area.

I stand by what I've said too - there's an undercurrent here of Roger going out of his way to make out that both Vin and the mini mart owners are 'nice', despite both being Asian. If I see racism, whether it's overt or more subtle like in this case, I'll call it out.

I suggest you take a look at this article, which is the one I referred to. Could you ever imagine the Advertiser, Echo, or other newspaper referring to the race of a business owner in this way?

https://www.qlocal.co.uk/ormskirk/ne...p-55048828.htm

13. minorityvoice says:07/03/2021 12:14 AM
    The fact you find us coming back mystifying and not the drivel that Blaxall continues to push out on this site speaks volumes of why he is consistently getting away with it.

14. old fart says:07/03/2021 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TowerAndSteeple View Post
    I have to disagree with you - it's pretty clear to me that what has gone on here is that in the pursuit of a 'story', Roger has proactively asked Vin his thoughts about some in BAME groups not taking the vaccine, just because he happens to be an Asian man.
    In your righteousness, you are now turning the wording of the article written on its head and simply making suppositions. It seems you and MinorityVoice(one wonders if you are one and the same person) are losing touch with reality through your obsessions.

15. minorityvoice says:07/03/2021 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    In your righteousness, you are now turning the wording of the article written on its head and simply making suppositions. It seems you and MinorityVoice(one wonders if you are one and the same person) are losing touch with reality through your obsessions.
    Why? Is it too hard for your head to believe that there are multiple people who don't fall for the ridiculous tactics employed by Mr Blaxall in an attempt to portray what he believes is news?

16. rogerblaxall says:08/03/2021 12:35 PM
    what's your definition of drivel by the way? as an NUJ journalist that's the last thing I want to write and post - and I think our readership stats. prove that. I don't think drivel means the stories I post six days a week, many of which are not recycled press releases. I suppose the fact I live and work in Ormskirk - and not from Liverpool or Southport - helps...

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations