UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Try reading it again, put it in context of the current problems and have another go

You clearly miss the fundamental point,
    that both sides foresaw problems that would need addressing in the future and if one side refused to co-operate do anything then there is a provision for unilateral action on specific issues.

Until we see if the new policy works as intended then of course it's temporary.

Please try and remember when you are on your anti-British rants (Brexit Screwups) that both sides signed this agreement and only one side, us, is looking to fix it.

The government wants the Stormont assembly up and running the country needs its democratically elected leadership.

The government wishes to fix the trading issues highlighted by the businesses trying to operate in NI.

The EU wants to control trade within a non-member country.

Where goods and services enter the EU then and only then is it any of their business.
    Both sides agreed that they didn't want a border through Ireland and it would be through the Irish Sea instead, Northern Ireland is still part of the EU Customs Union so goods entering NI are entering the EU, we negotiated that.

2. Likes seivad, donkey22, silver fox liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    E
    Try reading it again, put it in context of the current problems and have another go

You clearly miss the fundamental point,
    that both sides foresaw problems that would need addressing in the future and if one side refused to co-operate do anything then there is a provision for unilateral action on specific issues.

Until we see if the new policy works as intended then of course it's temporary.

Please try and remember when you are on your anti-British rants (Brexit Screwups) that both sides signed this agreement and only one side, us, is looking to fix it.

The government wants the Stormont assembly up and running the country needs its democratically elected leadership.

The government wishes to fix the trading issues highlighted by the businesses trying to operate in NI.

The EU wants to control trade within a non-member country.

Where goods and services enter the EU then and only then is it any of their business.
    You are missing the fundamental point. Article 16 of the NI Protocol does enable either party to suspend parts of the Protocol they aren't happy with. Had the government taken the route that Article 16 was designed for, they wouldn't be in potential legal jeopardy.

However, that's not what has happened. Rather than triggering Article 16, the government has written a bill which, if enacted, would remove several parts of the Protocol. In other words, domestic legislation is unilaterally overriding the NI Protocol. This is what is considered to be a breach of international law. The government has attempted to cover its backside by using the archaic 'doctrine of necessity' as legal justification. Whether this will pass muster or not is another story. NI's economy is outperforming the UK and the majority of NI businesses like the Protocol.

Since when did criticism of the governing party or its leader constitute anti-British sentiment? The UK isn't an authoritarian state. Governments/leaders of all stripes have always been subject to criticism.

5. Likes Toodles McGinty, donkey22, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post

Since when did criticism of the governing party or its leader constitute anti-British sentiment? The UK isn't an authoritarian state. Governments/leaders of all stripes have always been subject to criticism.
    It's all they've got left.

Brexit is a disaster. Economically, morally (the new 'Food Strategy' merely commits to “considering” animal welfare and the environment when it comes to free trade agreements), travel, education, science, the list is endless.

So what is left for supporters of this rogue government? Declarations that anyone who disagrees is 'unpatriotic'. Conveniently ignoring the fact that their tribe are still taking donations from Russians. Ignoring the fact that remainers want the country to thrive, to be outward looking, to trade with our nearest neighbours because it makes little financial or environmental sense to bring food and goods from the other side of the world.

It strikes me that these Brexidiots couldn't give a monkeys how the people of this country are suffering, that we're being taxed to the hilt, that poverty is rocketing, and all the other ills brought about by this government, as long as Brexit is done.

So wanting the best for the country is unpatriotic. Those supporting the worst government and worst PM in history are wonderfully patriotic. Although I am wondering why all those flag waving, ever-so-proud-to-be-British royalists at Queenie's Jubilee celebrations got it into their heads to boo Bunter repeatedly. Just unpatriotic, I suppose.

No shades of 1930s Germany at all.

7. Likes seivad, donkey22, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    It's all they've got left.

Brexit is a disaster. Economically, morally (the new 'Food Strategy' merely commits to “considering” animal welfare and the environment when it comes to free trade agreements), travel, education, science, the list is endless.

So what is left for supporters of this rogue government? Declarations that anyone who disagrees is 'unpatriotic'. Conveniently ignoring the fact that their tribe are still taking donations from Russians. Ignoring the fact that remainers want the country to thrive, to be outward looking, to trade with our nearest neighbours because it makes little financial or environmental sense to bring food and goods from the other side of the world.

It strikes me that these Brexidiots couldn't give a monkeys how the people of this country are suffering, that we're being taxed to the hilt, that poverty is rocketing, and all the other ills brought about by this government, as long as Brexit is done.

So wanting the best for the country is unpatriotic. Those supporting the worst government and worst PM in history are wonderfully patriotic. Although I am wondering why all those flag waving, ever-so-proud-to-be-British royalists at Queenie's Jubilee celebrations got it into their heads to boo Bunter repeatedly. Just unpatriotic, I suppose.

No shades of 1930s Germany at all.
    Sadly, and I say this as someone who does love the country I was born in, during the last few years Britain's reputation has diminished on the global stage. Although Britain lost its position of power after World War II, it was still regarded as an influential, trustworthy country. Respected for its honour and integrity, and far too many other things to list here. In my lifetime I have never seen anything close to this destructive, amoral government. It is shredding every vestige of what it means to be British. This latest news of unilaterally amending the NI Protocol, along with sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, therefore breaching a convention that the UK helped to write, has people shaking their heads in disbelief. History will not be kind to Johnson et al.

9. Likes donkey22, silver fox, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Local
    Not one word of gloating, not one.

I just point out to our anti-British contingent, who is causing the problems not only to us but to EU members who wish to continue trading with us.

As I point out so often it's not just British Lorry Drivers stuck in those queues its mainly EU member companies' lorries in the main.
    Throughout this topic you've insisted that the EU alone is responsible for border congestion, and that they are not implementing the rules as stated in the Trade & Cooperation Agreement.

At the end of this post there are snippets from a conversation with Alikado. Apart from a suggestion that Alikado should Google 'wet signatures', you refused to give examples and reference the relevant articles in the TCA.

I know what a wet signature is, so I Googled 'wet signature required on exports to France'. Had you done likewise you would see that France can stipulate manual signatures on 3rd country imports. It's not personal, I discovered that the EU also requires manual signatures on phytosanitary certificates issued by Australia. You would also have discovered that EU member countries are not all aligned with EU import regulations. The EU does allow them to deviate from the EU standard and implement their national laws.

When you were a member state it wasn't an issue. You used the (trusted) EU system for digital certificates and France accepted these signatures. This all changed when the transition period ended, at which point you were a 3rd country and advised to: 'For cross-border transactions, a UK party must always consider on a case-by-case basis whether an electronic signature will be recognised, and the document be registrable and enforceable, in every jurisdiction relevant to the transaction.' And, BTW, all of this could have been avoided if you had accepted the EU's offer of using the EU's system. You chose to design your own system, and due to some differences between it and EU's system, you accept their digital signatures, but they don't have to accept yours.

The TCA includes an article covering digital signatures on certificates originating in the EU vs UK certificates. Any problems experienced in clearing shipments aren't the fault of the EU. Had UK companies been advised of the changes that would come into effect, or at least directed to the TCA article, delays could have been avoided.

What other TCA rules are France supposed to be violating? Whatever you think they are, I bet a little more delving on your part might show that they are not. You've also ignored another reason for the tailbacks at Dover. Customs declarations on British exports to the EU were deferred until Jan. 1st this year. Once they were implemented it meant additional checks on vehicles entering through Dover. This slowed down their progress, it also didn't help when the UK goods movement system went down, meaning drivers were stuck.

The TCA is a skinny mess. Drafted in haste, and it shows. There is a provision for reviewing, amending and expanding the terms, but that's going to take a considerable length of time. In the meantime you have to accept the terms that both the EU and the UK signed in the TCA as it stands today. And you have to accept that every little glitch is not just the fault of the EU, and accept that they were a lot more prepared from day one than you were. Hell, you've not even implemented all of the border controls now! ?

Originally Posted by Alikado
    It matters not one iota what nationality the wagons or the drivers are, it is the goods they are carrying, the implementation of the rules is what our Government has agreed with the EU.

Yes it does matter and the implementation of the rules is not as agreed.

Why not find out for yourself?
    Originally Posted by Alikado
    What is not being implemented as agreed?

Show us rules and the evidence that they agree not being implemented as agreed.

Find out for yourself,

so many of these posts would be so different if people had bothered to find out for themselves, particularly before the referendum.

The fictional influence for a start.

Look up "wet signatures" you wouldn't believe it if I quoted it.

11. Likes donkey22, silver fox, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Again you flounder around looking to deride our country at every opportunity.

It is something you have long done and I wonder why you bother with us still.

The UK is not inhibiting trade.

To the haulage industry no matter the load origin delays means costs and loss of business and that means EU member hauliers are sat losing money.

We still trade with the EU on a very large scale and their returning drivers are delayed and other costs increasing never mind us.

The EU wants to control trade within our own GB market which is simply wrong.

The EU is blindly obstructing at every opportunity for no sensible reason and in the process making things difficult for its own members.

We seek to correct the issues in NI and the EU does nothing.

Yet you rush to condemn us.

As to the notion that our standing in the world is at an all-time low is simply not borne out by my own international travel for business and pleasure.

An increase in global popularity

The UK’s long established European tech dominance was asserted especially in 2021. The £29.4 billion invested into Britain’s startups and scaleups in 2021 was more than double that of Germany (£14.7 billion) and almost three times that of France (£9.7 billion), Europe’s next two most prolific tech investment hubs.

Accounting for a third of the total £89.5 billion that flowed into the European tech ecosystem in 2021, the UK’s continental tech dominance has been reflected in its growing influence within global tech innovation over the past decade, the UK second only to the US in early stage tech investment received in 2021.

In this and other important markets, the UK is on the cusp of a great post Brexit boom.

And despite the economic woes of the world and surging inflation the most important people (who Labour long ago forgot about the workers) are at long last gaining real economic power.

Instead of flooding our country with cheap Labour to keep workers down employers are having to pay decent wages and improve conditions.
    Last edited by local; 14/06/2022 at 06:04 PM.

13. Dislikes silver fox disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Nobody is 'deriding' the country. Can you point out which post is ridiculing this country? I think you'll find people are criticising the government. And as I keep pointing out, this isn't Nazi Germany (yet), it isn't Communist China, it isn't North Korea. All of us have every right to express an opinion as enfranchised citizens. All of us have the absolute right to criticise our public servants.

We aren't all held in thrall of them. We don't follow them blindly as though we are trapped in a cult. Even 41% of the government don't have faith in their leader.

I haven't read a single post on here criticising this country. They may attack the local authority, as in this thread, or this. They might criticise government policy, as in this thread. None of those are unpatriotic, or doing the country down in some way. If anything, they want to see the country doing much better.

And who made you arbiter of what is and isn't patriotic?

In this and other important markets, the UK is on the cusp of a great post Brexit boom.

And despite the economic woes of the world and surging inflation the most important people (who Labour long ago forgot about the workers) are at long last gaining real economic power.

Instead of flooding our country with cheap Labour to keep workers down employers are having to pay decent wages and improve conditions.
    Which 'other important markets'? And do let us know when this 'great post Brexit boom' happens. I can't wait.

The 'flooding the market with cheap labour' theory is a ridiculous over-simplification. There isn't a set number of jobs in the country. Studies show immigration has little or no effect on wages. It might even drive it up as more immigration means more consumers, which means more jobs.

As for wages, there's a massive labour shortage. Sure, that might drive some wages up, but in real terms wages are at the lowest for 20 years. Say a building firm has to pay experienced builders £100 a day more now. Everything costs more, raw materials, fuel, wages. That company has to charge customers more. Customers can't afford it, so the firm is in trouble.

When prices rise and wages rise to keep up, all you get is a 70s style wage-price spiral. There's no economic power in that.

15. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Nobody is 'deriding' the country. Can you point out which post is ridiculing this country? I think you'll find people are criticising the government. And as I keep pointing out, this isn't Nazi Germany (yet), it isn't Communist China, it isn't North Korea. All of us have every right to express an opinion as enfranchised citizens. All of us have the absolute right to criticise our public servants.

We aren't all held in thrall of them. We don't follow them blindly as though we are trapped in a cult. Even 41% of the government don't have faith in their leader.

I haven't read a single post on here criticising this country. They may attack the local authority, as in this thread, or this. They might criticise government policy, as in this thread. None of those are unpatriotic, or doing the country down in some way. If anything, they want to see the country doing much better.

And who made you arbiter of what is and isn't patriotic?

Which 'other important markets'? And do let us know when this 'great post Brexit boom' happens. I can't wait.

The 'flooding the market with cheap labour' theory is a ridiculous over-simplification. There isn't a set number of jobs in the country. Studies show immigration has little or no effect on wages. It might even drive it up as more immigration means more consumers, which means more jobs.

As for wages, there's a massive labour shortage. Sure, that might drive some wages up, but in real terms wages are at the lowest for 20 years. Say a building firm has to pay experienced builders £100 a day more now. Everything costs more, raw materials, fuel, wages. That company has to charge customers more. Customers can't afford it, so the firm is in trouble.

When prices rise and wages rise to keep up, all you get is a 70s style wage-price spiral. There's no economic power in that.

You constantly deride the country its leadership and it's people what would one of posts be without your one-sided ill considered rants,
    you seem like most of the groupthink to be unable to take a measured approach on any of the issues of the day.

Mindless, repetitive and puerile attacks on your own Prime Minister are usually prefaced with some school-ground language.

Forgetting of course you and your cohorts came up with Jeremy Corbyn as an alternative to Johnson, for that alone you should give three hail marys before each post.

You might even consider whilst your kicking your own country and so many of its people that Prime Minsters and parties come and go and the people you so easily insult will still be here.

As to your support of lower wages that is priceless.

I am sure so many in the workforce will appreciate your reasoning for keeping them on the bottom existing on top-up benefits from other poorer people.

There was a time a supporter of socialism would argue for a fairer share of the country's wealth and that people at the top on disproportionate salaries should take less.

Is your Chateau de Hypocrite cooling nicely?

Perhaps you think we should go back to the scab labour from the poorer countries of the EU being shipped in when workers pointed out they weren't being paid enough to survive in this country.

Or perhaps hark back to the days of Leaf UK, sorry everyone your jobs going to Poland.

Socialist my arse...................

Likes / Dislikes
    You constantly deride the country its leadership and it's people what would one of posts be without your one-sided ill considered rants,
    you seem like most of the groupthink to be unable to take a measured approach on any of the issues of the day.

Mindless, repetitive and puerile attacks on your own Prime Minister are usually prefaced with some school-ground language.

Forgetting of course you and your cohorts came up with Jeremy Corbyn as an alternative to Johnson, for that alone you should give three hail marys before each post.

You might even consider whilst your kicking your own country and so many of its people that Prime Minsters and parties come and go and the people you so easily insult will still be here.
    Once again, I invite you to point out where I've 'kicked' my own country. As for the worst PM we've ever had to suffer, nobody on here has said anything but the truth about him. Not sure if your blue tinted glasses still sees the emperor's new clothes, but the rest of the population can see he's butt naked. Even his own MPs. Get over it.

And who are these people I've insulted? Would they be the opposite of 'remoaners' and 'lefty losers'? Get your own house in order. Glass houses and all that.

Ooh, a mention of Jeremy Corbyn. For a change. A quick 'whatabout' for no reason whatsoever. Nobody came up with Corbyn as an alternative to Bunter. The liar was a back bench MP when Corbyn was elected. Bunter wasn't a consideration in anything at all until he plumped to back the Leave campaign. The only way he'll be considered in anything in future would be a discussion of 'who was Britain's worst ever PM'.

As for Corbyn as PM, I can only suggest you read his manifestos, as anything else is speculation.

As to your support of lower wages that is priceless.

I am sure so many in the workforce will appreciate your reasoning for keeping them on the bottom existing on top-up benefits from other poorer people.

There was a time a supporter of socialism would argue for a fairer share of the country's wealth and that people at the top on disproportionate salaries should take less.

Is your Chateau de Hypocrite cooling nicely?

Perhaps you think we should go back to the scab labour from the poorer countries of the EU being shipped in when workers pointed out they weren't being paid enough to survive in this country.

Or perhaps hark back to the days of Leaf UK, sorry everyone your jobs going to Poland.

Socialist my arse...................
    Can you read? Or can you simply not comprehend? Don't you understand actual sentences?

If the words in this piece on the wage-price spiral are a bit too much, try Googling your beloved's recent speech in Blackpool. Higher wages are a sticking plaster if the economy is in the toilet. Or do you think workers bringing their wages home in wheelbarrows is a triumph? You really do have a fondness for the practices of 1930s Germany, don't you? Take a crash course in economics.

I'll try again: 'flooding the market with cheap labour' theory is a ridiculous over-simplification. There isn't a set number of jobs in the country. Studies show immigration has little or no effect on wages. It might even drive it up as more immigration means more consumers, which means more jobs.

Leaving the EU doesn't stop employers bringing in cheap labour. It just means more immigration from Asia / Africa.

Read a little.

18. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Once again, I invite you to point out where I've 'kicked' my own country. As for the worst PM we've ever had to suffer, nobody on here has said anything but the truth about him. Not sure if your blue tinted glasses still sees the emperor's new clothes, but the rest of the population can see he's butt naked. Even his own MPs. Get over it.

And who are these people I've insulted? Would they be the opposite of 'remoaners' and 'lefty losers'? Get your own house in order. Glass houses and all that.

Ooh, a mention of Jeremy Corbyn. For a change. A quick 'whatabout' for no reason whatsoever. Nobody came up with Corbyn as an alternative to Bunter. The liar was a back bench MP when Corbyn was elected. Bunter wasn't a consideration in anything at all until he plumped to back the Leave campaign. The only way he'll be considered in anything in future would be a discussion of 'who was Britain's worst ever PM'.

As for Corbyn as PM, I can only suggest you read his manifestos, as anything else is speculation.

Can you read? Or can you simply not comprehend? Don't you understand actual sentences?

If the words in this piece on the wage-price spiral are a bit too much, try Googling your beloved's recent speech in Blackpool. Higher wages are a sticking plaster if the economy is in the toilet. Or do you think workers bringing their wages home in wheelbarrows is a triumph? You really do have a fondness for the practices of 1930s Germany, don't you? Take a crash course in economics.

I'll try again: 'flooding the market with cheap labour' theory is a ridiculous over-simplification. There isn't a set number of jobs in the country. Studies show immigration has little or no effect on wages. It might even drive it up as more immigration means more consumers, which means more jobs.

Leaving the EU doesn't stop employers bringing in cheap labour. It just means more immigration from Asia / Africa.

Read a little.

Oh, I do better, I actually do it out there in the big wide world and very successfully

When you get your head around the fact that you have to pay more when you can't pick up the phone for cheap labour from Europe you may just may get it and employers are not shipping in thousands from Asia/Africa, read a llot it might improve your education.

You could try the Guardian;

A shortage of workers is driving up wages: are we entering a new economic era?
    John Harris

Or maybe;

Why Remainers shouldn’t mock Brexiteers over the lorry driver shortage
    The inconvenient truth is that employers have used migrant labour to reduce wages and standards.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...w-wage-economy

You are surprisingly ignorant at times, all that faux socialist nonsense you don't give a toss for the people of this country, you just want to knock us.

Still, you keep on with your self-appointed Britain knocking role it just adds to the vacuous noise that keeps out the likes of Corbyn and his acolyte Starmer.

Likes / Dislikes

You are surprisingly ignorant at times, all that faux socialist nonsense you don't give a toss for the people of this country, you just want to knock us.
    Oh boo hoo. The nasty lady is saying bad things.

Once again, I invite you to point out a post that knocks this country or its people. I think rabid Brexiteers are swivel-eyed idiots who had their single shining moment in the sunlit uplands. Now very much in the minority.

I'll knock the government, of whichever colour, any time I like. It's called 'having an opinion' and is one of the few things this elected dictatorship hasn't outlawed. Yet. So shove that where the sun don't shine.

Still, you keep on with your self-appointed Britain knocking role it just adds to the vacuous noise that keeps out the likes of Corbyn and his acolyte Starmer.
    Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn! Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn. Whatabout Corbyn. Whatabout Corbyn. That's all you've got.
    He lives in your head rent-free too. Good.

Awful chap. Wanted to keep the NHS free. Wanted us to have decent broadband. Didn't want to give billions to cronies. Wasn't bought and paid for by Russian oligarchs. Oh Jeremy Corbyn.

PMSL.
    Last edited by Toodles McGinty; 16/06/2022 at 04:49 PM.

21. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local

It is something you have long done and I wonder why you bother with us still.
    Once again, I am not deriding the country. I am deriding 22 government ministers, which includes the PM.

I'll give you a few examples of derision of Britain and its people. No doubt you have already seen them. Do you find it disturbing that 4 of the 5 authors of this publication now occupy key cabinet positions? Johnson has no particular world view or ideology, but four of his top Cabinet ministers clearly have nothing but contempt for British workers.

"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.

If indifferent parenting and mediocre schooling have contributed to an erosion of the British work ethic, some argue it has been further exacerbated by an increasingly pervasive celebrity culture. Instead of celebrating the connection between hard work and success, we instead fixate on "undiscovered talent" in the arts, or a single "eureka" moment in business.

The malaise lies deeper than government policy can address. Britain has suffered from a diminished work ethic and a culture of excuses."

This one made me laugh. I can't say I've witnessed it in boardrooms in Canada & the US, but I've certainly seen it in the British government!

"Few from affluent backgrounds in the UK take science or, God forbid, maths at university. Instead they are more likely to study history, languages and classics. … At the top it remains acceptable not to understand science. The spirit of Yes Minister, where everyone in the room can discuss the Greek Aorist but are clueless about chemistry, is still strong in British boardrooms."

still trade with the EU on a very large scale and their returning drivers are delayed and other costs increasing never mind us.

The EU wants to control trade within our own GB market which is simply wrong.

The EU is blindly obstructing at every opportunity for no sensible reason and in the process making things difficult for its own members.

We seek to correct the issues in NI and the EU does nothing.

Yet you rush to condemn us.
    I rush to condemn you for claiming that border congestion is solely due to the EU, yet you seem unable to provide any incontrovertible evidence/examples that the EU is violating the terms of the TCA and deliberately obstructing trade.

Trade agreements exist to eliminate/decrease tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade. The EU & UK are in the unique position of previously enjoying frictionless trade, then negotiating an agreement that introduces trade barriers. To expect vehicles to glide on through each other's borders as before is ridiculous.

The problem is that many people have forgotten or aren't aware how trade was conducted prior to the customs union/single market. I can't hazard a guess how many times I have tried to explain that a having a trade deal doesn't preclude border controls. Entering or leaving the country, shipments are subject to the same documentation/checks you would have been subject to had you left the EU without a deal, plus certificates of origin if you are claiming the preferential tariff.

The busiest Canada/US border crossing is the Ambassador Bridge from Windsor, Ontario to Detroit, Michigan.The daily number of trucks (10,000+) using the bridge is about the same as Dover. Despite a Canada/US FTA that has been in existence for years, and a well oiled system that everyone is familiar with, truckers can still experience wait times to get through to an inspection booth. Currently there's a 20 minute wait on both sides of the border for commercial traffic to get to an inspection booth.

The NI Protocol was signed without a qualm. Johnson came home jubilantly crowing about it. The EU has already made some concessions. If, and it's a big if, Johnson's bill is passed, the repercussions will damage everyone.

Accept it or not, it's the British government, NOT the British people or British business, that has gained a poor reputation. People's sympathies were with the British companies who were unable to prepare for post-Brexit EU trade without knowing what the terms/requirements would be. Follow that with a last minute deal and a government that, when the transition period ended one year later, was still unprepared for the inevitable day.

Trade deal or no deal, there are also certain rules governing imports/exports that are governed by the WTO. Food safety is one of them. Yet to this very day there are no checks taking place on agri-food imports from the EU. The infrastructure should have been in place a long time ago.

Then there's the deferral of full customs declarations on imports from the EU, which also meant the ability for importers to defer payment of any duties/VAT payable to HMRC. That's a chunk of change that would normally be sitting in the Treasury's revenue chest. As the ability to defer declarations/payment ended on Jan.1 this year, do you know if all of the importers have filed supplementary declarations for their imports during the deferral period?

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the WTO hasn't been on your case for giving the EU preferential treatment on their imports.

All of the above are some of the reasons why many people are shaking their heads at the ineptitude of the British government. This, and the moral turpitude of the PM, has damaged the British government's reputation.

increase in global popularity

The UK’s long established European tech dominance was asserted especially in 2021. The £29.4 billion invested into Britain’s startups and scaleups in 2021 was more than double that of Germany (£14.7 billion) and almost three times that of France (£9.7 billion), Europe’s next two most prolific tech investment hubs.

Accounting for a third of the total £89.5 billion that flowed into the European tech ecosystem in 2021, the UK’s continental tech dominance has been reflected in its growing influence within global tech innovation over the past decade, the UK second only to the US in early stage tech investment received in 2021.

There's no doubt that Britain is noted for its tech innovation, but this is not public enterprise. The government isn't responsible for the minds that develop this and other innovations. Out of curiosity, how did Brexit increase investment in this sector? Did being an EU member impede either domestic or foreign direct investment in the UK? In Canada, both state and private company pension plans have invested in British business for many years. It's always been an attractive country for investors.

I sincerely wish that that you were on the cusp of a great post Brexit boom, but you're not. While we've all had to deal with external factors beyond our control, i.e. the pandemic, a broken supply chain and now Ukraine, the British economy has been affected far more than other G20 countries. While Brexit is undoubtedly part of the reason why, it's not the only reason. With zero UK growth forecast for 2023, the outlook is dismal, and I take no joy in that.

23. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Poor old groupthink is confused again, one minute were a basket case because of Brexit then the next endless diatribe about the work in progress to refine the agreement that BOTH sides recognised would need it.

Then just above the confusion continues somehow distancing the attractiveness for fantastic investment in the tech sector from our broken Brexit Britain, what are they here for to lose money ?

Charity ?

Surely no one wants to come here.

Your climbing over yourselves to get groupthink brownie points to deride Britain.

It's laughable.

Then there's a knock British education excerpt, still one wonders why so many want to be here and invest here.

Yet I am told no one knocks Britain.

Why your still here defeats me, just think get yourself to Dover and go the other way, take some boats back for the French to load some more people on.

Likes / Dislikes
    Where to start?

There's no "group think" here. It's called being in a minority. A minority regarding Brexit and Johnson, for example.

"Deriding Britain". What a gross insult. We are apparently supposed to keep quiet while we see our country decline economically ( 5% of GDP already lost) ; become a distrusted and disliked member of the international community; and sit and watch a government where it's a tough call as to whether incompetence, corruption or deceit are the greatest problems. It's because we care for our country that we are angry about all of this.

Average annual growth of GDP 1997-2007 , 2.7% pa. 2007-2107, 1.3%.
    Now predicated to be zero. Jolly well done.

A few months ago the fat oaf was telling us we would have a "high wage, high skill, economy". Not a clue about the latter, and the "high wage" entirely due to inflation. What utter tripe.

I am on a trip to Germany in August. Among the things we will be doing is exploring the country by rail on a pass that costs £8.That's £8 for the month, on an integrated, clean, efficient rail system which like most of Europe remains a public asset. No doubt we will end up conversing with other travellers, because they are not too arrogant to learn other languages. I expect they will realise we are British, sadly. And that the response will be bafflement at how far and how fast we have fallen; and even about the parallels between Johnson's government and the approach of the Third Reich.

On my last trip there we could get 1.3 euros to the pound. Now it's 1.12.
    Like the sterling/dollar rate. Last time I went -early 2020- about 1.3 to the pound; now well below. Ten years before it hovered around 1.5. Do you have the faintest idea why? Do you understand that's one of the reasons we are disproportionately hit by oil prices ? Or that close to 70p a litre of what we are paying now goes to the government, who could choose to reduce it but don't?

BTW it is common for economies in distress to receive what is politely called inward investment. Or less politely plunder. Go have a look at how many jobs, businesses and investors, have gone away.
    Last edited by bensherman; 17/06/2022 at 01:44 PM.

26. Likes seivad, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Poor old groupthink is confused again, one minute were a basket case because of Brexit then the next endless diatribe about the work in progress to refine the agreement that BOTH sides recognised would need it.

Then just above the confusion continues somehow distancing the attractiveness for fantastic investment in the tech sector from our broken Brexit Britain, what are they here for to lose money ?

Charity ?

Surely no one wants to come here.
    And the usual empty response from you. No answer to my question as to why Brexit has increased domestic or foreign investment in the tech sector. And why being an EU member would have impeded investment. Let me guess, Brexit isn't the reason.

Your climbing over yourselves to get groupthink brownie points to deride Britain.

It's laughable.
    I am deriding your chaotic, inept government. And I couldn't give a flying fish cake about Brownie points from anyone. I'm 75 this month, not 7.

Then there's a knock British education excerpt, still one wonders why so many want to be here and invest here.

Yet I am told no one knocks Britain.
    Do you have comprehension problems? Or are you just too lazy to read the full text? The person knocking British education is a key member of your current Cabinet. The same applies to the derisive comments about British workers. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when 4 of the people deriding Britain are now top members of the British Cabinet. Of course you ignored that, and my question asking if it disturbs you. Does it?

Why your still here defeats me, just think get yourself to Dover and go the other way, take some boats back for the French to load some more people on.
    Why I bother responding to your comments defeats me. Your comments and responses are a mix of childish insults and empty claims with no evidence to support them. I'm guessing that you're not a legal prosecutor.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations